Selecting a care provider can be an overwhelming prospect. When choosing an Alaska home care agency, it’s important to investigate a few key questions. Below are the top home care FAQs:

Q: Mom and Dad really need help. They resist my suggestions and my siblings won’t back me up. What do I do?

A: Relax a little bit. By recognizing the situation, avoiding denial, and forward thinking, you are already ahead of the curve. Your goal is to have options in place when the crises hit. After all, Mom and Dad are adults. Forcing services on them is just not going to work. They may see your meddling as a loss of independence rather than a means to extend it. They are not naive, and they realize that someday they may need a little help rather than to go to a nursing home. They may consider meeting with a nurse or home care expert to learn about options for when that time comes. All situations and family dynamics are unique. We suggest that you call the CareNet office for more details.

Q: Are short-term services available?

A: Yes. Often we assist with post-hospital or day surgery recovery. You may need help for one night or one week. Contact our office to arrange for an initial assessment (no charge), and we can assist you with planning the details.

Q: Will Medicare pay for long-term care?

A: Medicare does not pay for long-term care. Medicare provides for intermittent services (less than 24 hours). Services include Registered Nurses, Physical Therapists, Social Workers, Occupational Therapists, and some durable medical equipment (hospital bed, walker, wheelchair). Your physician must order service and there are limits. Consult with a Medicare certified agency, or call CareNet and we can give you several contacts.

Q: How does one qualify for Medicaid assistance?

A: Visit Alaska Legal Services Corporation’s website to view an excellent primer on “Q & A for Medicaid for the CHOICE Programs and Nursing Home Residents” (PDF).

Q: My parents purchased long-term care insurance. Now they need help. How do we begin?

A: Qualifying is not automatic! Most companies require physician certification, specific physical criteria, and an out-of-pocket waiting period. Review your policy and consult with your company. In general, when the client has met criteria, a qualified agency provides a Certified Nurse Aide (CNA) or Personal Care Attendant (PCA) to help with Activities of Daily Living (ADLs). These include help with eating, bathing, incontinent care, dressing, transferring and mobility. Discuss your situation with CareNet staff.

Call us today at 907-274-5620, or email us for more information about our home care services in Anchorage or to schedule a free in-home assessment.

©2017 CareNet, Inc.. All Rights Reserved. An original WordPress Theme created by corecubed